Saturday, December 6, 2008

Pansies on Claybord, In Progress

After trying out smaller watercolor paintings on ampersand claybord, I have decided to begin a larger series of watercolors. The pebbly surface of the aquabord creates a wonderful organic texture and allows for layering multiple glazes without breaking down. Watercolor paint is amazingly workable and liftable on this surface. On clayboard, I begin by applying the yellow that will illuminate the finished painting, being sure to leave white areas. After the yellow layer is dry, I will glaze in the lighter tones of the maroon violet. For these first areas, I use a wet-into-wet technique.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

I didn't get a chance to ask when I saw you today--how did the silent auction go last night?

ariel freeman said...

Both my paintings sold and Mirinda's paintings as well. Carol J. won the bid for mine. I'll tell you all about it at LT.