Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sunflower Demonstrations

I have layered another wash of blue-violet to the background, varying the dark, and used negative space painting to develop some leaf shapes. I also glazed another layer of warm color (magenta mix) on the front leaf to pull the leaf forward in space and push the other leaf behind. At this point, I am mostly satisfied with the value relationships within the painting, so I put in some final details in the pedals, creating more hard-edged shadows. I also glazed over the "behind" pedals with a dilute Quin. Gold to further push them behind the forward pedals.
For this painting demonstration, I have completed the midtone values that develop the form of the pedal shapes. I used more magenta for the back pedals. The red tones behind the yellow recede.

No comments: