Friday, June 12, 2009

Magenta, Watercolor on Claybord, 8X8

"Stop the car" I tell my husband, driving out of our neighborhood enjoying one of first few days of spring with the kids. "Watch you doing, mommy?" asks my 3-yr-old. My six year old answers, "She is going to take pictures of the flowers." And I add, "I just saw my next painting." And so the conversation goes...
I take my camera everywhere. You never know when something will catch your attention and call to be a painting; everyday things that I may not have even noticed the day (or years) before. That day, it was a row of tulips(?); three lined up in a row dancing in the wind and sun, spotted in the landscaping at the corner motel exiting my neighborhood (an unusual place to find beautifully landscaped patches of blossoming tulips I would say). So, these flowers will be the subject for my next painting, a triptych watercolor on aquabord. Above my composition and color study of magenta.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Just beautiful!! up close the clayboard gives almost a velvety feel!! The color here is fabulous.

Is this a tulip or a Peony??
Love it!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

ariel freeman said...

I don't really know. It was growing with the other tulips and bulb blossom plants. But I have never seen a tulip like this!

Gwen Bell said...

This is so beautiful! Love all the reds and magentas and the close view.

ariel freeman said...

Thanks Gwen, I am for some reason drawn to the organic forms within flowers, and the "punchier" the color, the better.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Gorgeous, Ariel. Love the story to go along with it!

Bonnie said...

A day in the life of a kid of an artist!