Monday, March 9, 2009
Painting "White", Workshop Demonstration 2
Today I began developing the midtone values in the flowers and working through the background. I glazed in a neutral violet (dilute Winsor Violet + Rose Madder Genuine) for the "behind" flowers, pulling the top flowers forward with negative space painting (painting behind the flowers). On the flower to be painted, I dampened the area on the pedals and then touched in the color, grading out the wash with clean water. Using a mix of Quin. Gold and New Gamboge, I added a layer to the flower centers developing the round shape. I varied the soft and hard edges. When working on the forward flowers, I used a warmer pink mix, leaving more white on the flower. I will continue this process of pushing and pulling flowers working around the painting. I also began to work the background, using a wet-into-wet wash of darker green (adding Winsor Green) and mingle of yellows (see right corner). I will continue this process through the background for unity.