Friday, February 26, 2010

Regarding Yellow

One of the wonderful characteristics about watercolor is its ability to appear luminous. Because watercolor is a transparent medium, the colors that are put on the surface first will influence the following layers. I consider yellow to be one of these "foundation" colors. If I want a finished area to have a warm glow, I will first put down a layer of yellow. Much of the "yellow" in this painting, for example, is foundation for what will be rich, warm, luminous dark spaces.
I have covered most of the surface with the first steps in describing the textures, shapes, and forms. Now I will begin to "push and pull" shapes building up the darker transparent layers and developing depth in the painting.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This piece is going to be so fabulous!!! Such a wonderful subject for shadow paly and luminous color!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

Bonnie said...

Looking great. I loved the complexity from the first time I saw it.

Maybe see you tomorrow, but I'll probably be on the later side. Today is framing day and I hope it doesn't spill over into tomorrow!