Thursday, August 20, 2009

Shades of Pastel

Flourishing Above the Surface
18X24
Soft Pastel
I am thrilled to have this painting accepted into the Shades of Pastel National Competition. The juror for this show is Richard McKinley, a nationally-recognized master pastelist. I took a bit of a gamble entering, and only entered one painting. Usually, I think jurors look for groups of work that are mature and cohesive and then select one or two to show. I had finished this painting just in time to enter, but really no others like it at the time. The exhibit is hosted by the Maryland Pastel Society and will run September 26th to November 7th at the Strathmore Mansion in Bethesda Maryland. Opening Reception will take place on October 4th from 1-3PM.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations!!! that is quite a feather to add to your already full cap!!!
Whoo Hooo for YOU!!!!!!
Big hugs!
Elizabeth

Bonnie said...

Congrats, Ariel! That's quite an achievement! The Richard McKinley part is pure gravy.

Sure hope to make it up there for the exhibit. It sneaked up on me and I didn't get to enter. Bah!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I got here through your comment link at Suzanne's and so glad I dropped by. What a beautiful pastel!

suzanneberry said...

Congratulations!! It is really quite beautiful! I love pastel and this is stunning. All of your work is beautiful. Thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it. best, suzanne

Lynne Eve Grossman said...

Lovely piece. I recall seeing it here in progress and enjoying. Wow!Congrats for Richard McKinley choosing this! Like Bonnie, I couldn't enter. I'm so glad you did! Your talent is being recognized. Great news, Ariel!